Same problem. Ubuntu 12.04, lenovo thinkpad t530.

Last update crashed down at first start. Then it updated the system and
after reboot i have same problem.

I've tried to remove my native keyboard layout and after adding it back
i see in preview screen english letters instead of my native letters.
Then i tried to add any other languages(not my native and english) -
same reaction. Every time it was english layout.

So i went to system language menu and saw a warning "not all language
packs were installed". After Ok and installation process bar i saw the
same as always the list with my native and english languages at the top
of the list. Everything seems to be alright. But keyboard layout never
switches.

Will it be fixed some day?

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  Can't use fr/oss keyboard layout by default