Just to add for clarity, it shouldn't be surprising that I had to
remove:

hw/xfree86/modes/xf86Crtc.c:

handle_detailed_physical_size() ...
      p->output->mm_width = det_mon->section.d_timings.h_size;
      p->output->mm_height = det_mon->section.d_timings.v_size;

since it seems to be called on each DDC probe and not just when the
connected output device has changed.  This should at least be
conditional on DisplaySize not being set.

I don't think this has really been noticed since the core DPI is no
longer tied to the output size/resolution, but any app wanting to make
use of the actual display characteristics via randr will potentially get
some very wrong values!

  DisplaySize setting not honored