I am on n Intel Core i5 quad-core PC with Intel's on-Chip graphics.
Quantal and Raring worked perfectly on this machine. Last Friday (Oct
18, 2013) I have upgraded to Saucy and the upgrade went smoothly and the
first boot also worked correctly. Then I stayed logged in during the
whole weekend. I am not sure but it can be that during that time a
smaller update happened, but I do not know which packages. Yesterday
(Sunday) something crashed and I had to reboot.

Now after the boot LightDM did not come up again. X started and the
standard background showed up, but instead of the login facility there
was nothing but a white Ubuntu logo in the center. There was a short OSD
notification that I am connected to the wired network. Then the system
was hanging.

I could switch into text mode and operate in text mode. I could also SSH
into the system from another machine.

Intext mode I have stopped the lightdm service, installed GDM and
started the GDM service, which also hung before getting a login
facility.

I can get a Unity desktop via

export COMPIZ_CONFIG_PROFILE=ubuntu
startx

on the text console.

I also cannot start a Saucy live system (USB stick). It comes to
starting X and the standard background shows, with a top bar with
accessibility and network indicator applets (which actually work), but
the screen stays otherwise empty. The dialogs to enter language and
keyboard layout do not appear and nothing happens.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10
Package: lightdm 1.8.2-0ubuntu1
Uname: Linux 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2
Architecture: amd64
Date: Mon Oct 21 22:10:23 2013
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Alpha amd64 (20120724.2)
LightdmConfig:
 [SeatDefaults]
 user-session=ubuntu
 greeter-session=unity-greeter
MarkForUpload: True
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: lightdm
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-10-17 (4 days ago)

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug saucy
--
Greeter shows in secondary monitor mode when only one monitor
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1242881