I'm not sure if this is realated, but I think it might be.

I'm having the same symptoms on my Lenovo x230 after installing 13.10:
the volume and mute buttons stopped working completely and the
brightness control buttons do still change brightness but there's no on-
screen indicator anymore.

I didn't upgrade using the update manager but did a clean install
keeping only my /home partition.

  Thinkpad x1 Volume up down and mute keys stopped working after upgrade
  to Ubuntu 13.10