Hi,

Ryan gave me a hint, how to find a workaround without using ~/.Xmodmap.
I describe the solution of my specific problem here, so it might be
helpful for someone with a similar problem.

These links helped a lot:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto%3A%20Custom%20keyboard%20layout%20definitions
http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/html/node5.html

To use the special € and $ keys of the acer laptop in 13.10:

1. add the scancode-to-keycode mappings to /etc/rc.local

# <Euro>
setkeycodes e033 240
# <Dollar>
setkeycodes e034 241

loadkeys /home/user/.acer.map

2. create the keyboard translation table extension in
/home/user/.acer.map containing:

keycode 240 = euro
        shift keycode 240 = cent
keycode 241 = dollar
        shift keycode 241 = onequarter

3. add the xbd_symbols to the symbol definition file you use, e.g.:
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de

// acer Euro und Dollar Spezialtasten
    key <I248>  { [  EuroSign,       cent ]     };
    key <I249>  { [    dollar, onequarter ]     };

4. optional, if you like to see the keys in the graphical represenation of the
keyboard,
    change the appropriate section in the geometry definition file you use,
e.g. /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/pc

    section "Editing" {
        top= 61;
        left= 312;
        row {
            top= 1;
            key.color= "grey20";
            keys { <INS>, <HOME>, <PGUP> };
        };
        row {
            top= 20;
            key.color= "grey20";
            keys { <DELE>, <END>, <PGDN> };
        };
        row {
            top= 58;
            keys { <I248>, { <UP>, color= "grey20" } , <I249> };
        };
        row {
            top= 77;
            key.color= "grey20";
            keys { <LEFT>, <DOWN>, <RGHT> };
        };
    }; // End of "Editing" section

And now I'm able to switch the keyboard layouts using "gnome-control-center
region layouts", too, withour "loosing" the € or $ key of the acer laptop again.

cheers Dirk

  .Xmodmap not automatically loaded on start