Okay, I'm working under the assumption that this is a HDMI handshake
issue.  I was looking for solutions to this and I found this wiki...

It talks about manually specifying the path to a raw EDID dump file from
my TV.  I got as far as adding the debug line in my xorg.conf file and I
can see the 256 byte hex string in the Xorg.0.log file.  The application
the tutorial uses to convert this to a bin doesn't work for me.  It says
"Found 0 EDIDs in "/var/log/Xorg.0.log".  I'm trying to find a different
way to dump this but I'm wondering if you guys think I'm on the right
track or not.

  cannot connect to HDMI port on my Ubuntu PC when switching sources on
  my TV