I'd spent the weekend dealing with this as last week someone at work
gave me one of these plantronics devices to use, and I was stoked it
would act as a headset for my pc as well.  Then I started getting the
screen freeze issue, and never figured out it was linked to the stupid
headset.  After upgrading from 12.04 to 13.10 (hitting a ton of ubuntu
bugs along with the way with the intel 4000 video chipset, forcing me to
hit 13.10 until I got a stable system again), and trying every window
manager out there, still had this issue...  Seemingly after doing
anything that triggered the sound device, finally figured out it was
related when disconnecting the plantronics headset would allow me to
click on my display windows again.  Argh!

If nothing else, can you (Canonical) simply blacklist the device by
default, or at least add the xorg entry if you can't find a better way
of dealing with it?  This is likely to make any user lose their hair as
it about did for me.

  Unity looses mouse click handler when using enabling USB headset