Update:

Last night I managed to find a work around this issue.  It seems that
for Ubuntu LTS 12.04, the default kernel provided in the updates 'links
to' (I'm not sure what the technical word is) a less recent NVIDIA
driver version, 304.88, while the nvidia driver update installed on my
machine on the 21st September was version 304.108.  I therefore
installed successively more recent kernel binaries until I found that
3.11.0-14 provided support for the NVIDIA drivers now installed on my
machine.  I have pasted a copy of my /usr/src directory below, and you
can see the installation of nvidia drivers and new kernels until xserver
worked again for 3.11.0-14.

I presume that the  issue was caused by an incorrect dependency in the
ubuntu package manager / update system.

Best wishes (and a merry Christmas and happy New Year!),
Robert Johnson

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  xserver broken after ubuntu update: nvidia api mismatch