I am experiencing this issue since I upgraded to 13.10 from 13.04.
No nVidia card but Intel:
Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)

The system does not hang. From my experience it just get stuck trying to open a
new VT.
It fails to switch to the Greeter and a black screen is shown, but you can go
back to your previous VT (CTRL-ALT-F7) or to a new one (e.g. tty1).

Versions:
lightdm 1.8.4-0ubuntu1  amd64
kernel 3.11.0-14-generic
All packages up-to-date as of 20131228.1000-UTC

WORKAROUND:
The problem solved after updating lightdm to version 1.8.5-0ubuntu1, available
in saucy-proposed repository.

After the lightdm upgrade I experience some performance issues related
to plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin when switching between users. Seem to be
resolved removing the plugin from all panels.

  [13.10] Ubuntu freezes completely when switching user