----

After I plug in a external monitor to my laptop, and change some display
settings, the screen of the laptop displays abnormal.

A possible reason of this issue is about change resolution to a un-fit
resolution, such as from 1366x768 to 640x480. Or change refresh rate to
some strange number, such 59Hz.

Since all behaviour is normal if without external monitor, thus this may be due
to two monitors can't be sync together. I think such changes should be allow to
sufficient user's
preference.

Steps to repeat:
1. plug in an external monitor
2. Open Display Preference Application on the laptop
3. Change resolution from 1366x768 to 640x480
4. Change refresh rate to 59Hz

What happens:
Laptop screen outputs some garbage data on the right-upper part, some part of
screen didn't display correctly.

What should happen:
Any changes about resolution or refresh rate should display correctly after
plug in a external monitor.

----

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu5
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-24-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 1:7.7+1ubuntu5
Architecture: amd64
CheckboxSubmission: 017452a27eca3c8b498abbfa5ef91db9
CheckboxSystem: ecaaad6fa1e0799a0aa1126bf620f39e
Date: Mon July 8 11:09:43 2013
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10.1 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.1)
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: xorg
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2011-11-08 (178 days ago)

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Laptop monitor display incorrectly after plug in an external monitor
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1197437