I have installed lately ubuntu gnome trusty on an usb external hdd connected to
the same notebook and what I have noticed and tested is that now touchpad state
restores after shutdown/restart with mouse plugged in.
When using touchpad Fn key combination ( Fn + F9 ) the syncronization of the
settings viewed in dconf-editor and the ones in gnome-control-center
mouse-settings is ok.
In ubuntu gnome 13.10 is not, meaning that when used, in dconf-editor
touchpad-enabled is unmarked and in gnome-control-center not or the other way
arround ( i am not sure now as I've used those scripts lately). I am writing
now from ubuntu gnome trusty amd64.
I will try the synclient method on saucy, but now I had to do some tests to
another visual bug/glitch on saucy, and I was asked to test the current trusty
to see if it was fixed.
With this occasion I took a look to see if the touchpad has also been fixed,
which in my opinion has been.

  Enable/Disable Touchpad not working correctly