Since a longer while I usually use only one monitor, either the laptop
internal one or only the external one (laptop closed and attached to
docking station). However, I did have several presentations lately using
beamer as secondary monitor. It worked flawlessly either in mirror or
non-mirror mode.

Side note: In the meantime I also switched laptop and from Ubuntu 10.04
to 12.04, so if this problem was related to particular motherboard or
Linux Kernel, maybe the change of the laptop could have solved the issue
(previously I had a Dell Latitude E5500, no I use a Dell Latitude
E6530). But both were Intel graphics and not ATI.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  secondary monitor is not correctly initialized