Sorry, I don't have that Dell Latitude D600 around anymore. Last time I used it
it was with LMDE inux Mint Debian about a year ago. Then it was running stable.

Since the cpu on that D600 does not support pae it won't run most stock
kernels anymore, so debian is the only distro that would still work on
that hardware.

Since my last comment #7 from 2010-05-08 I used that laptop a few times
a week without problems, so I think that this bug can be safely closed.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Frequent Xorg crashes on ATI RV250 graphics, radeon driver