Comment #11 is about my current installation comment #13 is about the
live environments (booted from USB):

In summary:
I could *not* reproduce it in the live environments of Kubuntu 13.10 and 14.04.
But I 'suffer' from this problem on my currently installed machine (Kubuntu
13.10). It does not matter whether I use my regular user account or a newly
created one.

I guess, the difference between my current installation and the live
environments are installed packages and system configurations (e.g. in
/etc).

  Mouse cursor duplicated in dual screen setup