At the moment I can not examine the bug on the machine (the Fujitsu-
Siemens notebook) on which I originally reported it. Such testing would
require to install the new system on the machine's hard drive. Once I
can do the installation I will send the apport info. (Perhaps in few
weeks.)

Now I can at least say that:

1.) After some time I found a simple treatment of the issue: if the
keyboard gets mixed, just press three specific keys at the same time:
Shift   Fn   Insert/Num  (which is in effect just NumLock on the
notebook). It helps at least on ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) with classic GNOME
2 which presently runs on the Fujitsu-Siemens.

2.) The bug does not affect my new HP ZBook 15 machine with the 64-bit
ubuntu 13.10 running. Hence most likely the latest development version
of ubuntu is also OK in this respect.

3.) There is still a small NumLock issue on the HP for which I will
likely file in a separate report (issues with LED light indication both
on the notebook and on the attached USB keyboard).

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in Ubuntu.

  keyboard mapping mixed up upon pressing NumLock