Hello Christopher

Yes this is still an issue in 13.10.

I downloaded the latest development release to test, as requested.
There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that when booting from a live CD the touchpad is
recognised as an ''Alps PS/2 Glidepoint'', the touchpad settings are
back in System Settings and I can disable tap to click and disable the
touchpad when typing.

The bad news is that the Acer Aspire 5720 has three physical buttons
below the touchpad - Left button, Right button, and a middle 4-way
button (as per my original bug report).  This middle 4-way button has
previously always worked for scrolling multiple lines up/down and
left/right.  The scrolling now only works one line at a time, whereas
previously in ubuntu 11.10, 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04 the scrolling worked
continuously i.e hold down the 'down' part of the middle button and the
scrolling down would continue until the button was released.  This
stopped working after upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10.  I have always
found this multi-line scrolling functionality tremendously useful.  Is
there any way to get this functionality back?

Do you still want me to run the apport-collect -p xserver-xorg-input-
synaptics REPLACE-WITH-BUG-NUMBER command from the development release
Live CD?

Many thanks for your help so far.

Bill

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Touchpad not recognised on Acer Aspire 5720 after upgrade to 13.10