Same thing happening to me.  Particularly the experience of jerrylamos:
<quote>Launcher is hidden, when I mouse over the launcher appears where the
black bar is, however when launcher hides again the desktop is not restored.

Also, as in #5, sometimes there is a vertical sliver of the desktop at the
extreme left then the vertical black bar then the desktop.
</quote>
The exact same is happening to me.  Not immediately after upgrading--couple
days later.

  saucy Beta 2 3.11.0-11 vertical black bar near left edge