When I looked into this (years ago), from what I could tell, windows was
enabling a different mode of operation in the mouse, one that sent both
horizontal and vertical scrolling data to the computer. Linux was using the
default mode which translated virticle scrolling to up and down button presses,
and horizontal scrolling to tripled up or trippled down button presses. I was
unable to do anything with this in hal.
The only thing I have noticed change in the years since I first reported this
issue is that more than three buttons became supported on the mouse.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in Ubuntu.

  Compaq CPQ750TP scrolling horizontally causes vertical scrolling