Bryan Eastin, thank you for your comment. If you would prefer to test
this out in a Kubuntu Trusty live environment that would be fine ->
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/trusty/alpha-1/ .

Granted it was different hardware (SONY Vaio) and variant (Ubuntu not
Kubuntu), but about a week ago I recently worked with someone to upgrade
them from Oneiric to Precise following
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades .

The one thing we did as a precaution based backing up the data, is we
permanently governored the CPU to powersave as the laptop was overheating from
time to time:
sudo cpufreq-selector --cpu=0 --governor=powersave && sudo cpufreq-selector
--cpu=1 --governor=powersave

  Shutting the lid interrupts laptop suspend