Hello Christopher,

I download a version from the current releases site on Jan 14 and
created a bootable USB iso. I ran that directly from the USB a few times
and could not replicate the problem. However, in that mode, I did not
have the NVidia drivers loaded. I downloaded the Jan 24th version today
with the intention of performing a full upgrade. However, I tested that
version booting directly from the USB drive and found that every time I
start firefox the system completely locked up, requiring a power reset
to resolve.

The PC with the problem reported is my main work PC so I am very
reluctant to upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu which may have more bugs
that the one I am currently using.

I would be open to your recommendations but for now, based upon the
issue I saw with firefox, will not perform an upgrade using the Jan 24th
iso.

  10de:07e1 [HP Pavilion p6020jp Desktop PC] Ubuntu 13.10 random screen
  freeze