Just adding a "me too" data point.  sysinfo says that my video card is:

Intel Corporation 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
(rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Intel orporation Device 5641

For me, the really broken part was flash video such as youtube pages or
an episode of Georgia Outdoors on gpb.org.  I'll attach a screenshot to
show what I was getting.

Adding the 00-xorg.conf file as suggested above with DefaultDepth 24
fixed things for me.

Best Regards
-Dan

** Attachment added: "screen shot showing corrupt video before adding the
xorg.conf setting"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1173649/+attachment/3964766/+files/screen.png

  incorrect color depth - intel graphics card