@ Andrea,

The 12.04 and 12.04.1 images use the same basic kernel and X-stack
(other than bug fixes and security updates) so I suspect you're dealing
with an additional issue. You should first of all rule out a bad
disc/USB (depending on which you're using to install) by entering the
advanced boot options as described here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Ubuntu_CD_Advanced_Welcome_Page_Options

Then select Check disc for defects. That will take several minutes to
complete, but unless it shows no errors found then you have bad
installation media.

Additionally a quick Google search shows that the hardware involved may
be:

Intel Celeron M 1.70GHz
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
512MB RAM

Have you upgraded the RAM? If you're still running with 512MB of RAM you
can probably still install Ubuntu Precise but you'll once again have to
enter the advanced boot options and choose Install Ubuntu from that
menu. Or you may need to use the Alternate CD.

Also DO NOT choose to download updates or install 3rd party software
when asked, and DO NOT choose to automatically login. Some of the
reasoning behind that is based solely on personal experience and goes
far beyond the scope of this bug report.

I also think that you'll likely find that Unity-2D is even quite slow on
that hardware so you'll likely want to do something like this:

In fact if you have or are willing to create an Ubuntu Forums account
you could post in that thread and I'll be glad to try and help you. I'm
kansasnoob there :^)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in Ubuntu.

  VIA P4M800 graphics broken in Lubuntu/Xubuntu Saucy & 12.04.4
  candidate