Are the --enable-kdrive-mouse and --enable-kdrive-kbd arguments
necessary?  They seem unrelated to the specific symptomps originally
reported, and according to <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=646686#12> they may have issues.  From that bug
comment:

On Wed 2013-03-27T14:20:34+0100 Geert Uytterhoeven <ge...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>  - I did not enable kdrive-kbd, as it's completely broken.
>    Since it no longer fills in KdKeyboardInfo.minScanCode and
>    KdKeyboardInfo.maxScanCode, any keypress causes messages like:
>
>    driver Linux console keyboard wanted to post scancode x outside of [0, 0]!
>
>  - kdrive-mouse still works (e.g. "-mouse ps2", or "-mouse mouse" for
>    protocol probing, which takes some time), but the recommended way
>    these days is kbd-evdev, using the following (ugly) command line
>    parameters:
>
>       -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event0
>       -mouse evdev,,device=/dev/input/event1

It seems like just adding --enable-kdrive-evdev would be sufficient and
safer, no?

  xserver-xephyr: Couldn't find keyboard driver evdev