I was able to get fglrx-updates running with the following work around:

>From init Terminal Mode ( cntl + alt  F1) ran sudo apt-get install
>fglrx-updates, then
note the suggested deb pkg's listed as suggested and installed them FIRST,
before proceeding with the amd driver installation.

I installed them fisrt, along with all their dependencies which were
listed,  one of which was FAKE ROOT, which may not be installed through
the gui installer possibly part of the problem ???.

After those were all installed (debhelper etc and depends)  then I
installed  fglrx-updates and it's depends and the installation completed
without error and have the correct divers installed and working
correctly now.

I am on kernel 3.13.0-11 on an intel sandy bridge i7 2600-k with amd ati
asus 6570 gpu.

Sorry apport was crashing on me also this morning cannot provide log ,
however, what what I could see it was basically the same description and
problem as already posted.  Hopefully this will help someone else until
a fix is released.  This worked for me. Good Luck !

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer-updates in Ubuntu.

  fglrx-updates 2:13.125-0ubuntu1: fglrx-updates kernel module failed to
  build