Whoo. By what means, if not xrandr?  I'm certainly changing screen rotation
sometimes, though not by choice. One of the many things that's buggy or
become buggy on this wretched machine (ie combo of hardware and software)
is that when I undock my laptop from its dockingstation (and possibly in
other circumstances too?), the screen sometimes rotates the way it might if
I were converting to tablet mode (It's an X230 tablet).
 However, I don't think I've noticed anything like a 1-to-1 relationship
between that problem (fixed simply by pushing a rotate-screen hardware
button next to the display) and the can't-login problem. I don't know how
to initiate the problem, in fact.

Is yours fully reproducible?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Simon SimonG <simongmilsi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm having very similar issues and I noticed that the same symptoms
> appear when I change my screen orientation, log out and log back in.
> For some reason, If I keep the rotation normal and use xrandr to
> manually rotate the screen, I don't get these problems.
>
> Christopher, are you changing the screen rotation by any chance?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1266784
>
> Title:
>   i915_set_reset_status *ERROR* render ring hung inside bo
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

  GPU hangs during login to rotated display