Public bug reported:

Booting from a Lubuntu Trusty Live disc on a Lenovo 3000 C200 laptop
with a Synaptics touchpad, double-tap to open a file or folder works
sporadically/erratically/badly. It often requires a VERY fast double-
tap, or a very fast double-tap with extra force, but even these measures
may not work.

Via synclient, I played with the FingerLow, FingerHigh and
MaxDoubleTapTime settings, but did not arrive at something that worked.

I did eventually discover that a *triple-tap* reliably yields the
behavior I would expect from a double-tap.

I found the same behavior under Lubuntu Saucy installed on the hard
drive, and under Lubuntu Live discs for older versions at least back to
Lubuntu 12.10.

I also booted a Lubuntu Trusty Daily Build Live disc on an HP Elitebook
8530p with a Synaptics touchpad and likewise found the bad behavior
there, though somewhat lessened. Perhaps due to the faster Core 2 Duo
processor?

Booting an *Ubuntu* Saucy Live disc on the Lenovo, double-tap worked as
expected. Double-tap also worked as expected on this machine under
Windows Vista.

On another laptop with Lubuntu Saucy but an ALPS touchpad, double-tap
worked as expected.

In accord with http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debugging/TouchpadDetection (the
section "Touchpad features work, but does not work correctly and as
expected"), I will include xmodmap, xinput, evtest and xev attachments
in a logs.tar.gz archive. For evtest and xev, I tried to capture a
single double-tap between typed letter "a" identifiers.

I filed a similar bug for Lubuntu Saucy: # 1286326

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.7.3-1ubuntu1
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-8-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
Architecture: i386
CasperVersion: 1.337