Public bug reported:

I'm testing with a freshly-updated Trusty Tahir daily (2014/March/2) on
a Lenovo X1 Carbon (2014 refresh) laptop.

IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops have a "Trackpoint": a red "joystick mouse"
in the middle of the keyboard.  Historically this is accompanied by
three mouse buttons directly below the space bar.  One beloved feature:
if you hold down the middle mouse button, you can scroll a window
up/down/left/right with the Trackpoint.  This feature is implemented in
X with the "Evdev Wheel Emulation" properties of the xinput driver for
the Trackpoint device.

The latest Thinkpad laptops (X240, X1 Carbon 2014 refresh) remove the
hard buttons, and have a "clickpad" instead of a trackpad.    One must
use the "soft" mouse buttons provided by the clickpad.  But now we have
a problem.  The clickpad soft buttons are implemented in the Synaptic
driver.  And the Synaptic driver doesn't support middle-button-
scrolling.

If I run
  % xinput --list-props "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
I see property entries starting with "Evdev Wheel Emulation".  Setting them on
this device doesn't enable middle-button-scrolling.

And if I run
  % xinput --list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
I don't see those property entries at all.  I tried setting them manually with
"xinput --set-int-prop" but they were ignored.

One of the maintainers of Arch Linux got middle-button-scrolling with a
Trackpoint + clickpad to work!  But he had to create a new driver.  It
looks like he started with the evdev driver, and merged in support for
the Synaptics and Trackpoint devices.  The resulting driver is published
here:

https://bitbucket.org/esrevinu/xf86-input-evdev-trackpoint

It would be fantastic if Ubuntu 14.04 also supported this feature.
Thanks!

** Affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

** Tags: scrolling trackpoint

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Thinkpad clickpad + Trackpoint cannot emulate middle button scrolling