> Could someone create poll on some french(belgian) web site, linux-oriented.
> Which behavior would be preferable?

Is this even necessary?  I mean, the change wasn't made in the first
place because an user wasn't happy with the state, but because some apps
couldn't handle it.  And nowadays, at least some of those apps
(Rhythmbox, Totem, …) have been fixed or altered in a way they do not
suffer from it anymore, actually mostly nullifying the original point.

Also, what a poll would do?  This looks like a pretty subtle problem to me, and
an uneducated user couldn't really tell.  As far as they are concerned, I would
think they just want everything working.
Even me, if you ask I would say (as in my previous reply) just fix the
XLookupString while keeping the original mapping, since IIUC it would fix
everybody's issue.  But I have no real clue whether it's a pertinent answer or
not.

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  Can't use space bar in search bar when using french alternative
  keyboard