Hi madbiologist, thank you very much for your persistance.    (somehow
launchpad no longer shows this bug in my list...)
I did try some of your suggestions above, but nothing really seemed to help.

I am happy to report that UbubtuStudio 14.04 BETA 1 (Alpha) AMD64  is
greatly improved compared to the 13.x versions.

it is still nowhere near as cool as it was in 10.10, but the 14.04
temperature is similar to but not quite as good as what I used to see in
12.04.  It runs several degrees hotter than 12.04, but a lot cooler than
13.x.

After the recent round of updates, 12.04 is now also running much hotter
:-(   so I was getting desperate for a fix.

I am happy to say that 14.04 is running cool enough to be usable, the
range is mid 60's to low 80's,  whereas I was never able to use 13.x
due to overheating.

10.10 is proof that it could still run much cooler (low 50's), but 10.10
had other problems (audio, bluetooth).

so overall this is a huge win.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  temperature overheating of cpu and radeon in 12.10 and above