Public bug reported:

Upstream has released -synaptics 1.7.99.1:

A snapshot of what will be synaptics 1.8. There are a couple of significant
changes in here:

libevdev support:
  The evdev backend on Linux now uses libevdev. We recommend to use libevdev
  1.1-rc1 or later as the synaptics driver is very likely to trigger
  SYN_DROPPED and we've fixed a bunch of issues in libevdev 1.1.

Support for T440, T540, X240, Helix, Yoga:
  The bulk of the changes is to support this set of Lenovo touchpads. These
  touchpads don't have separate physical buttons for the trackstick and need
  to be emulated as software-button by the driver.

TouchpadOff behaviour change:
  Synaptics has a property "Synaptics Off" to disable events. Previously,
  this disabled any event from the touchpad. Now, physical button clicks are
  allowed even when the touchpad is disabled.

mtdev was dropped:
  There are no touchpad drivers in the kernel tree that use protocol A, so
  using mtdev is just a computationally expensiv and memory-wasting noop.

this needs a newer libevdev too.

** Affects: libevdev (Ubuntu)

** Affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: libevdev (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  FFE: new upstream version to support touchpads on newer Lenovo models