Public bug reported:

I have two Xubuntu 14.04 Beta1 installations:
A: upgraded from Xubuntu 12.04.4
B: installed from the  Xubuntu 14.04 Beta1 desktop CD.
Both Installations are up-to-date.

To do a user switch I hit e.g. <Ctrl+Alt+F2>, login as e.g. burdi01 and issue
"startx -- :1".
Initially both "A" and "B" gave a black screen without even a cursor. I then
hit <Ctrl+Alt+F2> followed by <Ctrl+C> to get out.

Some googling told me to comment out the "xfce" and "xubuntu" lines in
/etc/upstart-xsessions. This "resolved" the problem for "A", but not for
"B".

The ~burdi01/.xsession-errors file showed:
>> libGL error: failed to open drm device: Permission denied
>> libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
Some googling told me to make burdi01 a member of the video group. This
eliminated the r600 messages, but did not resolve the problem.

The ~burdi01/.xsession-errors file now reads:
>> Xsession: X session started for burdi01 at za mrt 22 18:55:10 CET 2014
>> localuser:burdi01 being added to access control list
>> openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
>> cannot connect to brltty at :0
>> Script for ibus started at run_im.
>> Script for auto started at run_im.
>> Script for default started at run_im.
>> Script for ibus started at run_im.
>> Script for auto started at run_im.
>> Script for default started at run_im.
>> x-session-manager[3689]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead.
>> Sorry....

For as far as I can see there is nothing special in the syslogs.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu8
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-18-generic x86_64