The bug is still there using current karmic. I've seen on a fedora 11
box there's an access to the screen configuration dialog from gdm. Could
it be a workaround for this issue ?

On a side note, it breaks badly the quality of the visual boot
experience, as seen on the attached screenshot (which show the worst
case, usually I get the gdm wallpaper tiled with 1024x768 tiles on a
1280x1024 screen).

** Attachment added: "Capture.png"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/31953476/Capture.png

--
At the GDM scree, Dell 610 laptop screen remains on while on a docking station
and with an external screen connected