Christopher, I am not 100% sure what a backport is but to try to answer
your question, the touchpad stopped being recognised correctly after
upgrading to 13.10 (and the scrolling stopped working correctly too).
It was recognised correctly and functioned correctly in 13.04 and many
previous releases going back several years.

I hope that sufficiently answers your question but if you need any
further information please let me know and I will answer quickly.

The problem as originally reported still exists.  Nothing has changed.
I would really like this issue to remain "open" until it is fixed.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Touchpad not recognised on Acer Aspire 5720 after upgrade to 13.10