Looks like I spoke too soon about the 14.04 not having corruption
issues.  I conducted an upgrade to 14.04 today on this machine and the
corruption is present when running the Ubuntu 14.04 kernel 3.13.0-20.

I installed the latest build from the mainline 3.14.0-031400rc8-generic
the corruption is not present.

Now that I can actually boot for 14.04 what would be useful to collect
to diagnose this further?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  HD 5970 multi monitor radeon screen corruption