Thanks for responding Sebastien. This bug isn't about switching
workspaces with scroll events, it's about being able to scroll windows
with a mouse that aren't in focus. Basically, it works with a touchpad
(all windows are able to scroll without focus), but not with a mouse
scrollwheel.

The default X desktop behaviour since forever has been to be able to
scroll any scrollable window that the pointer is hovering above,
regardless of whether it's in focus or not.

For the record, I've been affected by this bug even today, where I
wanted to have two gEdit windows open side by side, and had to keep
focusing the windows to scroll them, whereas normally I'd just hover
over one window and scroll it while editing the other with the keyboard.

This bug is also a regression from Ubuntu 12.04.. so might be more
important if you have a bunch of 12.04 LTS users upgrading next month.

  Scrolling behaviour and window focus has changed and is inconsistent