On a Macbook Pro 8,1 which should be using bcm5974, I got the same
defaults of 70 and 75. Those worked fine for that driver/device. I'm
fairly confident that is what is going on here - the defaults were
updated for all devices when they should have just been updated for
newer devices using the newer driver.

Where do these default values come from, and how can we change them (for
all Ubuntu users with Macbooks)?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 13.10, wrong settings for Apple (mouse) touchpad in Macbook 4,1