Dear Christopher,

thank you for your prompt followup. I believe I caused the problem by
installing the wrong version of xfce4 on top of ubuntu 12.04 when I did
the reinstall. There is also some possibility that I corrupted the OS
perl packages.

I have done a re-install. This time I installed 12.04. Then removed all
the packages I did not want (gwibber, folks, zeitgeist, and various
others) before I let the software update process run. Then I followed
the process at:

http://linuxaria.com/article/xfce-4-10-on-ubuntu-12-04?lang=en

which has proved reliable in other ways.

After this I installed perl, cpan for my user and so far so good.

I have had a very good experience with ubuntu but I am going to return
to debian and xfce4. The packages in ubuntu seem to be getting a bit
intertwined and it is hard to get rid of packages you don't want and
have them stay gone. I don't really know what gvfs is for example but I
can't get rid of it. zeitgeist is anther hardy package that I have spent
a lot of time purging and re-purging.

It would be could if there was a stripped down release. Still I know it
is a big job.

Many thanks,

J. E. Read

  Mouse pointer (touchpad) gets stuck often