I forgot to mention my system settings - I'm using Thinkpad T420 with
Nvidia Optimus. I am *not* using nvidia-prime, as that setup didn't work
for me, instead I'm using the bumblebee setup where X is configured only
for the Intel graphics, and bumblebee is using a second X server to
render 3D games.

I have the Nvidia binary driver 331-updates from canonical installed,
and not nouveou. I'm not using an xorg.conf, but if I try to generate
one using 'X -configure', the generated file includes only the Intel
setup.

At the times of the problem, the bumblebee setup is not being used and
the nvidia driver is not even loaded, but bumblbeed is running.

  Under KDE, X consumes 100% CPU after returning from VT switch