I'm affected too. Basically I'm trying to use physical volume knob of external
USB DAC to manipulate the volume of the sound.
But since the screen is locked the knob is not working.. till I unlock the
screen.

The things become even more frustrating when I use the Power settings
and set "Do nothing" option when you close the lid of the laptop.
However when I close the lid what's happen is lock the screen (it turns
it off, which is OK) but it also disables the external control.

It would be great if sound control is allowed while the screen is locked
and also some of the FN+key controls.

P.S. Let me know if there is known workaround (like adding some udev
rule, permission or configuration).

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Can't change brightness while screen is locked