** Description changed:

  After the upgrade, the computer crashed at the login screen where it
  froze. I could not switch to a VT, login via SSH, or safer reboot via
  the magic keys: RESIUB.

  Anyway - after a hard reboot, I noticed the graphics setup had changed.
- I have a dual monitor setup that with a 22" 1920x1080 TV and 17"
- 1280x1024 monitor. For some reason the 1920x1080 display likes to use an
- odd resolution (1776x1000) for some signals like the one the RV770 was
- pumping out cloned for both monitors of 1280x1024.
+ It was obvious because of the way the 22" handles resolutions or signals
+ it doesn't like. It's cloning the only resolution it has made avaialble:
+ 1280x1024.

  At some point after upgrade to 14.04 and before my second attempt to run
  Xorg, the original xorg.conf file was renamed (and not replaced) with
- the date added on the end.
+ the date added on the end. I replaced it with the original xorg and
+ eventually tired different things to fix it by commenting certain lines.

  The second run of Xorg: The graphic output looked the same with cloned
  1280x1024. I noticed that even though I restored my xorg.conf file, it
- proceeded to unload radeon driver and load FBDEV with LLVM pipe.
+ proceeded to unload radeon driver and load FBDEV with LLVM pipe. Having
+ xorg.conf and not having it produces the same resutlts.

  The output of xrandr is:

  <QUOTE>
  xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
  Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 1024, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
  default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
     1280x1024      77.0*
  </QUOTE>

  I see no obvious reason from the log files why radeon was unloaded and
  not used for this card which is on the supported list still. Any ideas?

  Thanks much.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  Package: xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-04-19 (0 days ago)

** Description changed:

  After the upgrade, the computer crashed at the login screen where it
  froze. I could not switch to a VT, login via SSH, or safer reboot via
  the magic keys: RESIUB.

  Anyway - after a hard reboot, I noticed the graphics setup had changed.
  It was obvious because of the way the 22" handles resolutions or signals
- it doesn't like. It's cloning the only resolution it has made avaialble:
+ it doesn't like. It's cloning the only resolution it has made available:
  1280x1024.

  At some point after upgrade to 14.04 and before my second attempt to run
  Xorg, the original xorg.conf file was renamed (and not replaced) with
  the date added on the end. I replaced it with the original xorg and
  eventually tired different things to fix it by commenting certain lines.

  The second run of Xorg: The graphic output looked the same with cloned
  1280x1024. I noticed that even though I restored my xorg.conf file, it
- proceeded to unload radeon driver and load FBDEV with LLVM pipe. Having
- xorg.conf and not having it produces the same resutlts.
+ proceeded to unload radeon driver and then load and use FBDEV with LLVM
+ pipe. Yay? Nope, I use folding@home so the CPU cores are too busy for
+ OpenGL. Having and not having xorg.conf present seems to not have an
+ effect on the resutlts. :(