As an addendum, I've found that, on my laptop (Toshiba Portege
R835-p70), this only happens when the lid is shut and the computer goes
into sleep mode. Putting the computer into sleep through the power menu
or 'pm-suspend' does not cause this issue. It seems to be isolated to
the lid.

I do recieve 'not authorized' messages from the power manager when
waking occasionally.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 14.04 blank screen after wakeup from sleep