Upon reboot into new kernel:
lightdm login manager starts and all appears ok - no errors at all.
Then, once I input my password and click Log in > - nothing.
It takes me to the Unity desktop with nothing on it.  No launcher bar, no
background image not bar at the top.

It appears that FGLRX failed to build into the kernel and this causes my
graphics card not to initialize the unity desktop.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer-updates in Ubuntu.

  fglrx-updates 2:13.350.1-0ubuntu2: fglrx-updates kernel module failed
  to build on 3.15 [/usr/sbin/dkms: line 73: cd:
  /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.350.1/build: No such file or directory]