I'm quite sure this problem affects me as well. Unfortunately my linux
knowledge seems insufficient to track this problem down properly so I
can only add some observations since upgrading my workstation to
14.04LTS :

* arbitrarily the load jumps from normal (between 0 and 3 during
standard desktop workstation operations) to exactly 15 but(!) without
really slowing the system down except for delays when switching users or
trying to log in or out. This often (but not exclusively) happens after
resuming from a lock screen.

* iostats yields NO write/read load during high load

* top yiels NO task excessively or exclusively consuming any CPU

* there are no network shares mounted

* a reboot solves this problem for several hours again.

* shutdown hangs on Askingh all remaining processes to terminate - No
error is shown but I have to hard-reset the pc. (as far as I can see
after unmounting all filesystems - I had no fs problems regarding this
issue so far)

  relogin fails with black screen, Xorg high load