Failing in Trusty 14.04 with Radeon 3000 (integrated onto mobo)

uname -rm
3.13.0-24-generic x86_64

 apt-cache policy xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.7+1ubuntu8
  Candidate: 1:7.7+1ubuntu8
  Version table:
 *** 1:7.7+1ubuntu8 0
        500 http://ie.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 10.1.0)

However
sudo amdconfig --initial
amdconfig: No supported adapters detected

and
 sudo aticonfig --initial
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

I had this installed on 12.04. Upgrade 12.04.4 broke it and I couldn't recover
so I moved to 14.04 in the hope of resolution (no joy).

as per earlier readings I suspect an updated driver is breaking some older
chipsets.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  fglrx-installer 2:13.101-0ubuntu0.0.1 fails with some "legacy" devices
  (Radeon HD 2000 3000 4000)