Seems this bug still persists in 14.04

I use 'xset dpms 0 0 1200 -dpms s off s noblank s noexpose' in my
.profile but something keeps switching dpms back on.

Even if I use xset -dpms in a teminal something re-enables it.

I am also suffering from having to hit a key every 10 mins or so when
watching a video in vlc.

xset - q reports:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 900    Off: 1200
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

shortly after having issued xset -dpms.

After no keyboard activity for some minutes a notification is displayed,
near the bottom of the screen, showing a brightness setting (a screen
icon, a 'progress bar' and a percentage) which usually begins at 60%
followed some minutes later by one showing 40% then later 0%. Despite
the notification the screen does not dim but does eventually blank.  The
function keys (F6 and F7) do work to adjust the screen brightness,
though no notification is displayed. It used to be that a brightness
notification (different format, a sun icon and a thinner 'progress bar')
was displayed on the upper-right of the screen.

I don't have xsreensaver.

My power setting in the control centre is set to suspend after 30 mins
of inactivity when on battery and not suspend when plugged in.

In Brightness settings I have full brightness, dim unchecked and blank
set to never.

I'm running kubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba NB-200.

which is subscribed to x11-xserver-utils in Ubuntu.

  xset -dpms does not disable power saving