I've the same problem but driver is nvidia-331.67 and there was 331.20
version of driver but when I updated kernel group at last Monday (I
think upgraded from 3.11.0.19 to 3.11.0.20 but I'm not sure) with "apt-
get -y dist-upgrade" it removed most of the xorg components after
upgrade I've reboot my laptop but desktop didn't come after i remove
nvidia-drivers and installed nvidia-current, nvidia-331.20 and 331.67
respectively and uninstall them again recpectively :| after i've install
ubuntu-desktop, xserver-xorg and desktop came again without nvidia
drivers. I tried again installing 331.67 then it's installing
successfully but when I run nvidia-settings it's giving an error message
which is "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit
your X configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as a root), and
restart the X server." but I've tried 9 or 10 times it's not working.
But I can run cuda deviceQuery, cuda samples, nvidia-smi [with or
without -a] these are working well. Can it be unity 2d problem this mean
nvidia-settings is not work correctly with unity 2d?

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-310 in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-settings-xxx : link group nvidia_settings_conf is broken
  (possible reason to being unable to use driver)