Created attachment 98637
Works for me, probably not the proper solution though

Here's a workaround patch that I've been using successfully for a while.

Upon loading a new keymap, Xkb does something with the locks. I'm not
sure what it is and why it would do so. I just commented out that part
and it works great for me. There might be side effects unbeknownst to
me.

Apparently various manufacturers create keyboards that change the
keycode of the numpad keys to their non-numpad equivalents when NumLock
is off. Crazy, I know. This is an issue Xkb developers should be aware
of.

The current behavior on layout change is still not reasonable at all,
it's a bug somewhere in Xkb, triggered by such keyboards. Nevertheless,
this bug should be fixed.

  NumLock turned off on layout switch