BTW, about the punctuation signs that, in French, requires a nbsp before
them, i.e. " ; : ! ? " (for perfect typographic correctness, while
usually few people know about this and nobody really cares...) :

Usual word processing programs, such as OpenOffice / LibreOffice, when
configured to the french locale, add these typographically required
nbsps automagically, so people actually do not have to type the nbsp,
which makes the need for an easy entry of these still less of an issue.

Should we follow the slope of stealing a useful right [Ctrl] key for
this, then me might well in the future steal the left one for the dash "
- ", as in french, we typographically use at least 3 different lenghts
for dashes. As previously, word processing software usually transforms
the "normal dash" into the "typographically correct dash"... Nope, all
this mess of quite complex and unusual characters is the very reason for
which meta and compose keys exist in the first place...

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  Right-Ctrl key broken on French OSS keyboard