I've tested this a bit more.
The issue is a lot more serious than I thought!

The workaround provided by the bug reporter probably works for computers
using an NVIDIA card. And my fix would probably work too.

However, for computers with Hybrid graphics/NVIDIA Optimus (Intel+NDIVIA), like
my laptop, the workaround has terrible consequences:
If I add both lines to alt_ld.so.conf, Unity WON'T START when I login (I get
the desktop without Unity).
If I add only the "lib32" line to it, Unity starts and I can start Skype and
Steam, but I get errors, at least in Steam, about missing things in display :0
or :0.0 and other types of errors.
But if I start steam with optirun (I use bumblebee), Steam starts fine.

So, the NVIDIA libGL.so.1 version is for NVIDIA graphics ONLY.
People like me who use Hybrid Graphics, and Intel card by default, have to use
the Mesa version of the library.
To fix this execute:
$ sudo update-alternatives --config i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf
and select the option that contains "mesa".
Then run "sudo ldconfig".

This issue should definitely be looked into by more experienced people!

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  ldconfig problem with 64-bit nvidia driver packages