Lubuntu 14.04
The following all results in a black screen:

video=ofonly
video=radeonfb:off
video=radeonfb:off radeon.modeset=1
video=radeonfb:off radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1

I can usually reboot by blindly pressing ctrl+alt+f1 ctrl+alt+del
ctrl+alt+del sot it is not frozen, but no console ever apperas.

I have also tried compiling the kernel with radeonfb as a module but
this didn't help either, it just made xorg not work (console did).

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  "No devices detected" radeon regression